Course Generator is a free software that allows you to calculate your running time in running or hiking from a GPS file.
Created in 2008 for my personal needs, it has not stopped evolving and it allows today to do much more than the estimation of your travel time.
From a GPX or CGX file (Course Generator format), it allows you to:
- View your route on an OpenStreetMap map or an aerial view via BING satellite images.
- Calculate your travel time and your crossing times at each point of the track, taking into account the nature of the terrain and your abilities.
- To add to your track the nature of the terrain, the coefficient of fatigue, the station times or rest and comments.
- To define the periods of nights as well as the impact on your efficiency.
- To take into account the impact the elevation on your performance.
- To generate a mini-roadbook, as an image, of the track with the elevation profile and information about your different way points
- Generate a summary in text format
- Get statistics on the track
- To reverse the direction of the track
- To load the start point of a track for a looped track
- To extract a part of the track
- To save the track in CGX format, which is the Course Generator format, in order to be able to exchange track while keeping data on the ground, comments …
- And many other things…
Course Generator also allows to make the following manipulations on GPX files:
- To load a GPX file
- To save changes to GPX format
- To reverse the direction of a track
- To save part of a track
- To merge multiple track into one
- To change the starting point of a looped track
Course Generator is Open Source, multiplatform (Windows, MacOS and Linux) and multi-language. His code is available on Github.
It’s free. Of course, if you find this software brilliantly cool, you can make a donation to thank the author and encourage him in future developments. It’s here…
You can also help the author by advertising around the software. I gain nothing but knowing that what I created is used by a growing number of users.
You can download the last version in the download section.
Latest news about Course Generator
You will find the latest news about Course Generator in the blog.
Example of use
An example of use? Why not a course not too hard and quite short, the UTMB® 🙂
With the GPX file of the track you can:
- Define the “quality” of the terrain (roads, paths…)
- Define milestones, Stations, time limits and rest time
- Calculate your time at all points of the track according to your abilities
- Know the time of night run, the time spent at over 2000m or even the spent time over 2000m by night. This allows you to realize what you are going to face and prepare your bag accordingly
- Generate a fully customized mini-roadbook
- Export a portion of the track in GPX or CGX format, for example to recognize the track in 4 steps.
- Reverse the direction of the course.
- Change the starting point for example to start from Courmayeur.
- Save all your settings in CGX format (Course Generator format) in order to exchange all your settings with your friends.
How it works
The operating principle is as follows:
The video below shows you how Course Generator works (old version of the software but the principle remains the same, currently in French 🙁 ) :
Course Generator offers the possibility of generating a mini-roadbook. This will contain the profile of the track and information about your way points.
3 types of profile are available:
The settings made to generate the mini-roadbook are saved in the CGX file of the track. If you exchange a track in CGX format, you exchange the track with all its information (station, quality of the terrain, time limits …) and the mini-roadbook.
If you are convinced, made a tour through the download page.